Tuscan Cannellini Beans With Sausage
AS AN AMAZON AFFILIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
A Tuscan inspired recipe where savory notes come from the garlic and sage and sings with the flavor from the tomatoes. The cannellini beans are the backbone to the dish and the sausage imparts its' own flavor and makes this a very hearty family meal.
My love of Tuscany started many years ago in 2007 when I received the "Essentials of Italian" cookbook. Williams-Sonoma takes you through the regions of Italy giving you information on the food and customs of the regions. Then I watched Under The Tuscan Sun with Diane Lane - late to the party as it was released in 2003. It further sparked my love affair with Tuscany and was most recently reinforced with Stanley Tucci's "Search for Italy".
That all brought me back to the cookbook where I actually had some recipes tagged for making "someday". One of the recipes in the book which I had tagged inspired me to make this easy budget friendly meal. The recipe was Cannellini Beans with Garlic and Sage. I knew this was the one I needed to make and blog here at Cooking On A Budget while putting my own spin on it.
- 2 - 15.5 oz. cans cannellini beans
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce* (see note in direction number 3)
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 4 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, split
- salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat add one tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage to the pan and break it up into smaller pieces. Sauté sausage until it browns a bit then transfer to a waiting bowl.
- Turn down the heat to medium low and add in the last tablespoon of olive oil. Add in the minced garlic and sage, stir and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, sausage and cannellini beans. Stir to combine and cook covered over medium low heat for about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it and if there is not enough liquid* add in the can of tomato sauce.
- Continue to cook covered for about 15 more minutes or until the beans are cooked through.
There you have it: Tuscan Cannellini Beans with Sausage. So easy to make, not a long cooking time and most definitely a cheap meal for your family. My cost for all ingredients was $5.44. There is enough to serve six people which comes out to:
If you have limited grocery funds I highly recommend you try this Tuscan Cannellini Beans with Sausage. Remember, it is kid-friendly too. By the way while I was eating this dish I also watched "Under The Tuscan Sun"! Buon Appetito.