I did a version of this in two different recipes I've made but I spotted this idea to combine both. The first version is my recipe Yellow Squash and Zucchini Baked With Cheddar Cheese. The other way I've done this was to breadcrumb zucchini wedges and almost deep fry them in a deep skillet with oil. In this recipe, cheddar is replaced with mozzarella. This would make a great side dish for a fish, chicken or beef dinner.
- 2 medium sized zucchini or yellow summer squash - cut into 1/4" rounds (or a combination)
- 1/4 heaping cup shredded Mozzarella or Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs - crushed with your hands
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 - 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp.kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Line a large or two medium baking sheets with foil and spray lightly with the cooking spray.
- Slice zucchini or squash into 1/4 inch-thick rounds. Place in a bowl and combine with oil, coating well. Salt and pepper the rounds to taste.
- In a wide bowl or plate, combine breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Place rounds in Parmesan and breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides of each round and pressing to adhere. You should get a light coating on each side.
- Place rounds in a single layer on baking sheets. Sprinkle any remaining breadcrumb mixture over the rounds as well as some shredded cheese.
Bake for about 22 to 27 minutes, until golden brown. They should be crisp on both sides - so you don't have to turn them.